Thursday, July 22, 2010

Anginetti (Italian Lemon Drop Cookies)

I was browsing through recipes on food.com and stumbled upon a recipe for Anginetti (Italian Lemon Drop Cookies) from Kim D.


(Photo courtesy of GaylaJ)

I'm a lemon lover and the pictures of these cookies really sold me!

The recipe was pretty straightforward with nothing strange, and I happened to have everything on hand, so I decided I would make them.


Here's the ingredients you need:

COOKIE:
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Vegetable Shortening
3 Large Eggs
1 1/2 tsp Lemon Extract (I used 4 tsp bottled lemon juice)
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp salt
FROSTING:
3 cups Confectioners Sugar
1/4 cup Water
1 tsp Lemon Extract (I used 5 tsp bottled lemon juice)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350.
For cookies, cream together sugar and shortening.
Add eggs and lemon extract.
The dough should be sticky and soft.
With a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto lightly greased baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until firm and lightly brown.
Remove cookies from cookie sheet and allow to cool completely on wire racks.


For frosting, combine confectioners sugar, water, and lemon extract and mix until smooth.
Frost the tops of each cookie with a metal spatula.
Allow cookies to dry before stacking.
Store in an airtight container.


These cookies turned out so well!!! They are a great summer cookie treat :-) To me, they tasted sort of like a sugar cookie with lemon. And I love this lemony frosting!

One of the reviews on the recipe's page mentioned that they just dipped the tops of the cookies into the frosting, so I tried it. This went pretty quickly, and I think it's easier than frosting each one with a spatula.
Next time, I would like to try them with fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. I think that would make them super amazing!

1 comment:

  1. wow those came out perfect, they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete